Saturday, January 21, 2006

The Global Anglican Communion: A Blueprint

http://www.virtueonline.org/portal/modules/news/article.php?storyid=3514

[VirtueOnline] January 20, 2006--The Anglican Communion in Crisis - The Episcopal Church and the Anglican Communion are in crisis. If you do not think this is so, then may I respectfully suggest that you don't belong here. Or perhaps I don't belong here. I address you as one who was saved and baptized in the Episcopal Church as a university student. I use that salvation language because that is the way my colleagues in Uganda would put it and because it is the truth: I once was lost but now I'm found. Praise the Lord! Jesus saved me in the context of the Anglican tradition, which I cherish. I love its history, its liturgy, its reasonableness and moderation, its "mereness." We need to recall that this mereness has been sealed in the blood of martyrs - whether in England or Uganda and elsewhere - who in times of crisis cried out "Play the Man, Master Ridley" or "Here we are at Heaven's gates. In the twinkling of an eye, we shall see Jesus!" Hence in our context today, I interpret the conference title "Mere Anglicanism" to be a kind of battle cry like "Back to the Sources!" or "Here I Stand!" or "Remember the Martyrs!"

No comments: