Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The Letter, Lambeth, and a Little Bit More - David Roseberry

http://www.globalsouthanglican.org/index.php/comments/the_letter_lambeth_and_a_little_bit_more_david_roseberry/

[Global South Anglican] 3 Jan 2007--As an American, I have been looking for the ABC to settle the very important matter before the Anglican Communion like a strong father in a family filled with fighting children and wayward sons. But I sensed for the first time that the role of the ABC at Lambeth will not ever be that of a ‘father,’ but of a ‘grandfather.’ His ‘historic office’ is there, like Lambeth Palace itself, to give wisdom and weight and representation to the years of the past and the hope of unity ahead.

My posts last weeks about the AMiA and CANA preceded the controversial letter from the Archbishop of Canterbury by only a few days. The letter took me by great surprise simply because of its clear tone and direction. (I thought it was a fake at first… sorry Matt.) Knowing it’s genuine, I am greatly encouraged by it. The content of the letter was consistent with everything I had learned on my travels. And the direction of the letter confirmed my recollections of the conversations I had at Lambeth just a few weeks earlier.

No comments: