Friday, May 11, 2007

Debates on the Nature of the Anglican Communion

http://www.standfirminfaith.com/index.php/site/article/2962/

[Stand Firm] 11 May 2007--Earlier this week I posted an essay by Dr. Ephraim Radner entitled: Vocation Deferred: The Necessary Challenge of Communion. In it Dr. Radner argued against both what he calls the "localist" view of Communion relationships and the "confessionalist" view, positing instead a more conciliar framework in which the Anglican Communion serves as a sort of "school" for the rest of Christendom, an exemplar of Communion relationships across varied cultural and theological spectrums.

I disagree rather strongly with Dr. Radner's dismissal of the "confessionalist" position and I think his vision of a conciliar church is lacking. I am working on an article to explain my position. In the meantime, I encourage you to read Dr. Stephen Noll's vision of the Anglican Communion entitled: The Anglican Communion in Crisis, which is excellent and addresses many of the questions Dr. Radner takes up.

No comments: