Monday, September 17, 2007

A Response To The “Lawyer Bishops” Paper To the House of Bishops

http://descant.classicalanglican.net/?p=3117

[Drell's Descants] 17 Sep 2007--At the outset, it is apparent to me that this work is largely, if not completely, that of Bishop Joe Morris Doss, as it essentially builds upon his earlier writing on the theory of some kind of common law Anglican Constitution which somehow mimics International Constitutional Law. I have to say at the outset of this piece that I have great respect and admiration for Bishop Doss. As fellow Louisianian, he has a hearty laugh and is someone you can share a drink or a meal with and it is most pleasurable. As someone whose ministry is working with people in prison and their families, I appreciate the fact that his work for the poor has followed the best of the traditions of the Christian Church as it has endeavored to follow Matthew 25. He is also a fellow graduate of one of the best law schools in the country, the Louisiana State University Law Center, and I am sure I suffered under the same legal tutelage of certain professors as he did, as they tended to stay around for a while. Moreover, Bishop Doss has a local connection here in Alexandria; his best friend lives across the street from my parents and he visits Alexandria often. Prior to the controversies of the day, Doss has preached and celebrated at my parish. Now, he merely attends when he is in town. I regret that the controversies of the day have led to him not being asked to bless our congregation at the end of services. Our divisions are regrettable.

No comments: