Thursday, January 31, 2008

Lament for a Lost Church. Rector Resigns

http://www.virtueonline.org/portal/modules/news/article.php?storyid=7597

[Virtue Online] 31 Jan 2008--The time has come for a formal announcement of my retirement. I have been putting this off, seeking the right dates as well as, most importantly, seeking God's will for our lives. With all this in mind Polly and I have decided to retire on January 5, 2009.

I had thought that I would be your rector until I was either sixty-five or even sixty-six, when the various pension and social security plans would make the most sense. None-the-less I have decided that I must retire before the next General Convention, which is in 2009. The reason is simple. It is a matter of conscience. Each successive recent General Convention has made more and more egregious decisions that adversely affect my spiritual well being.

I knew Ian Montgomery when he was the rector of St. Philip's Episcopal Church in Algiers, Louisiana. The Episcopal Church is losing another faithful and godly pastor.

No comments: