Saturday, June 28, 2008

There is no Anglican schism

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/damian_thompson/blog/2008/06/27/there_is_no_anglican_schism

[Telegraph] 28.06.08--If Gafcon had created a proper schism within the Anglican Communion then I reckon Rowan Williams would be sleeping a lot easier this weekend. But it didn't. The meeting of 300 conservative bishops hoisted a flag right in the centre of world Christianity - Jerusalem - and declared that the proceedings of the Lambeth Conference don't matter very much because no one will pay a blind bit of attention to them.

I have to disagree with my colleague George Pitcher. I don't think Bishop Michael Nazir-Ali of Rochester was exploited at Gafcon. I think he guessed correctly that Gafcon offered him an alternative power base and he seized his opportunity brilliantly. The same goes for Peter Jensen, the Archbishop of Sydney.

No comments: