Thursday, August 14, 2008

Joining the Resistance

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2008/august/22.48.html

[Christianity Today] 14 Aug 2008--Long before televisions and remote controls, people responded to evil by turning a blind eye. Leviticus 20 tells of a bleak period in Israel's history, when they substituted worship of the true God for worship of the Ammonite fire god, Molech. Part of the pagan ritual was to kill and burn children as sacrifices to appease Molech. God's severe warnings to Israel were dire. He held those who knew of the evil and did nothing as responsible as those who actually practiced child sacrifice. Leviticus 20:4–5 says, "If the people of the land look the other way as if nothing had happened when that man gives his child to the god Molech and fail to kill him, I will resolutely reject that man and his family, and him and all who join him in prostituting themselves in the rituals of the god Molech I will cut off from their people" (The Message).

I came away from Svey Pak wounded by the pain of these young girls forced to act like grown women. Changing the channel could no longer be my response to evil in the world. My newfound knowledge made me ready to face it, hate it, and resist it. I didn't realize it at the time, but that was the moment when I joined the resistance.

No comments: