Friday, August 08, 2008

LAMBETH 2008 REFLECTIONS: A Response to Sarah Hey on Lambeth 2008

http://www.stephenswitness.com/2008/08/lambeth-2008-reflections.html

[Stephen's Witness] 8 Aug 2008--Firstly, I am surprised that Sarah and other orthodox Anglicans were surprised at the course and outcome of the Conference. Frankly, I was overwhelmingly unsurprised. Saddened, but not surprised. The ABC and Design Team had telegraphed their intentions for over a year and they stayed the course, even with the absence of 200+ bishops and the challenge presented by GAFCON. (One sentence in the ABC’s final Address hardly represents reaching out to GAFCON, but we’ll see.)

Secondly, I agree with Sarah that Rowan Williams has now like Phaeton taken in hand the other three reins of Anglican authority (a.k.a. Instruments of Unity) and is the only charioteer in town. So Lambeth was pretty much a paper parliament, as stunningly revealed in the 37-page Reflections document. What I do not see is why she sees his actions and inactions as unintentional. I am reminded of how the colonists right up to 1775 were convinced that it was the Privy Council passing all those nasty taxes and if good King George only knew… At some point, one gives up wondering “what Rowan really thinks” and holds him accountable for the consequences that Sarah so ably describes and predicts.

Finally, I want to commend Sarah for sounding a hopeful note for the GAFCON movement when she says:

I believe that all of this new-found unity [among conservative Anglicans] -- if it holds -- can help both the GAFCON group and internal TEC groups. It appears to me that if GAFCON proceeds calmly, wisely, and methodically -- something that it is not always known for -- and with more unity among other GS Primates, that it will gather more Primates who have endured the bizarre summer camp of Lambeth. I don't think such a shift will be immediate -- but I think it will be slow and sure, again if GAFCON does not act imprudently or arrogantly.

I think this alliance among conservative Anglicans is a real possibility, as is the warning to the GAFCON leadership to tread carefully. I will be interested to read Matt’s reflections on this subject, as one who went to both Conferences.

No comments: