Wednesday, August 06, 2008

Lambeth at a ‘Local’ Level

http://www.anglican-mainstream.net/2008/08/06/lambeth-at-a-local-level/#more-4631

[Anglican Mainstream] 6 Aug 2008--Knowing something of Bishop Katharine Jefferts Schori’s reputation for the deconstruction and emptying of the Anglican church in America ( her Sunday sermon at Salisbury on Sunday, July 13th made reference to tearing down the church in order to make something new ), I also took myself and my (long suffering) wife, along to the forum at Salisbury Cathedral on the evening of Monday, 14th July, in anticipation of asking a few questions. I have to say, Shirley, that I came away from that evening with my worst fears confirmed. This lady, at the very least, is an impostor who needs to be exposed and, at worst, a false prophet, warnings about whom are given in numerous places in the Bible.

Just in case I had not listened carefully enough to what Katharine had said I tried, the following day, to procure a transcript or recording of the evening but was told that the machinery had malfunctioned. This, therefore is my recollection of the evening, and please correct me where necessary.

Bishop Katharine started the evening by giving a little, academic talk on the Latin for “conversation” and how it had its roots in monastic life. This immediately gave a tone of authority and credibility that I can only assume was designed to put us at a disadvantage. I understand that this is a standard tactic of hers. She then started to talk about conversations, especially those in the Garden of Eden and at the River Jordon. My mind immediately shot to the Lambeth Conference, where indeed the theme has been conversations - and listening, a lot of listening - in groups of 40, called “Endabas.” As Archbishop Jonathan Sentamu pointed out, Endabas have not worked in South Africa so why should they work there? However I was more minded of the conversation between Balaam and his donkey.

However, my blood pressure started to rise when she replaced the recipient, Jesus Christ , of God’s affirmation (“ You are my Son, whom I love. With you I am well pleased.” Mark 1.11) with us. This was clearly an abuse of scripture, like Genesis 15:6, that credits us with righteousness, through faith (in the Jesus Christ). She then proceeded, for seven minutes to skilfully manipulate and massage 400 souls, sitting beneath the high vaulting of the north transept of this ancient building, with that distinctive slow and mesmeric drawl. She led us with her rod and staff into paths of introspection that were designed to engender the feel-good factor and hopefully to put to bed anyone, like myself, who might have come with the slightest of negative thoughts. The lady is a consummate performer. Naturally this begged for a response from the assembled: “How did people feel?” As one person after another bared their feelings to this lady, I became more than a little tortured with the thought that maybe this was the direction in which the whole evening was going; so I raised my hand so as to ask a question. The Bishop of Ramsbury, officiating from the platform, extended the sceptre towards me and I was offered the microphone.

Talking of conversations I spoke about one that I had had two weeks previously, on the steps of All Souls, Langham Place , London, with the celebrated homosexual activist, Peter Tatchell. I likened our conversation to that between the two thieves hanging either side of Jesus Christ. One was trying to make the other realise that both of them deserved God’s wrath but that Jesus Christ was indeed totally innocent. He was numbered amongst the transgressors and there was none of “This is my son in whom I am well pleased.” The temperature became a little arctic here, I believe.

No comments: