Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Freddo Frog changed my view of evangelism

http://www.sydneyanglicans.net/mission/missionthinking/freddo_frog_changed_my_view_of_evangelism/

[sydneyanglicans.net] 2 Sep 2008--Doorknocking is generally considered to be an extreme activity. The sky-surfing of evangelism. Well, perhaps without the ‘cool’ – but you know what I mean: it’s a bit ‘out there’. Something only adrenaline junkies do. And we all have to admit to secretly trying to avoid it.

After all, we’ve all been on the receiving end of visits by the JWs, and their scripted patter has done little except annoy. Surely that is not the effect we are after for Connect09?

I have done a bit of doorknocking. Let me tell you about the most recent time. It was in my street where we’ve lived for several years. I was with my seven-year-old daughter, selling fundraiser Freddos for her school. Some people weren’t home, others weren’t interested. Some were happy to have a little chat, others were clearly busy and we left right away. Some were very keen to buy what we were selling, others just said no thanks. But I think I can say that no-one thought we were nutters – nor did we feel like freaks.

Related article:
http://www.sydneyanglicans.net/sydneystories/help_i_doorknocked_a_mormon/
Help! I doorknocked a Mormon - sydneyanglicans.net

No comments: