Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Lambeth, from a distance

http://www.anglican-mainstream.net/2008/09/09/lambeth-from-a-distance/#more-4881

[Anglican Mainstream] 10 Sep 2008--I suppose I have long now been embarrassed to be an Anglican, or, more pointedly, when I have travelled overseas and engaged in missionary work with churches, been embarrassed to be a member of the Anglican Church of Canada, seeking to explain and justify myself against charges of my church’s infidelity, abandonment and desertion. From Plato to Marx, intellectuals have suggested the inevitability of stagist evolution,that societies move unstoppably from democracy to tyranny (Plato) from capitalism to communism (Marx). I fear that the next stage of my Anglican evolutionary journey might be from embarrassment to shame.

No comments: