Friday, September 19, 2008

Practising what you preach

http://forums.walesonline.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=6048

[Wales Online] 19 Sep 2008--You report on September 17 that the Archbishop of Wales says that members of the Global Anglican Future Conference (GAFCON) “do not believe in engaging in dialogue with people with whom they disagree on human sexuality”. As one from Ireland who attended GAFCON, may I relate my experience?

In March 2007 I met the Archbishop in Ireland and asked if I could continue the conversation by email. He agreed, and I wrote a letter engaging substantially with what he had said publicly on human sexuality during his Irish visit.

Several weeks later, having had no reply, I rang his secretary who confirmed that he had received my letter and promised to bring it to his attention again. Still no reply.

Then a year later, when I heard that one of the Irish bishops was to be at a conference with Archbishop Morgan in July 2008, I asked him if he would hand-deliver a further copy of my letter. He agreed. But still no reply.

My letter was a genuine and respectful attempt to engage in the dialogue that the Archbishop now blames people like me for not being willing to have. May I use your forum as a last desperate attempt to get him to engage with me?

No comments: