Thursday, October 23, 2008

What Yes on 8 Means

http://www.christiannewswire.com/news/481358368.html

[Christian Newswire] 23 Oct 2008--In Fresno, a Catholic priest who recently came out to his parishioners asked them to imagine they have just discovered they are gay. "How would you feel when you saw a car with a 'Yes on 8' bumper sticker?" In San Diego, a group opposing Proposition 8 calls itself "Californians Against Hate." In San Jose, two women parked in front of a house that had a large "Yes on 8" banner. They spray painted their own car to turn it into a billboard saying "Bigots Live Here."

Given all these episodes, I would like for the gays and lesbians of California to know what I mean by the "Yes on Proposition 8" sign in my yard. I want you to know what I am saying, and what I'm not saying, by driving around with a "Yes on Prop 8" sticker. Some opponents of Proposition 8 seem to view it as a referendum on whether we like gay people. I do not share this view. From my perspective, it would be tragic for the gays and lesbians of California to believe that every house with a Yes on 8 sign in the yard is inhabited by someone who hates them.

2 comments:

Reuven said...

We're starting to see Evangelicals question the wisdom of proposition 8.

emi. said...

this is an awesome post. would you mind posting a comment with this in it? on my blog?

http://prop8discussion.wordpress.com/2008/10/23/tolerance-3-the-family-statue-and-the-yes-sign/

yes on prop 8!

http://prop8discussion.wordpress.com/category/legislation-and-social-issues/