Thursday, October 30, 2008

When Christians fail to vote

http://www.bpnews.net/BPFirstPerson.asp?ID=29228

[Baptist Press News] 30 Oct 2008--Evangelicals have a pitiful record when it comes to voting. Over the last 30 years, on average only half of eligible evangelicals took the time and made the effort to go to vote in a general election for a president.

It's fair to ask, "So what?" Does this really matter to God? Is He really concerned about elections?

At one time I had concluded that perhaps it didn't. I knew God absolutely was concerned about moral issues in our nation, such as abortion and homosexuality, and as a pastor I passionately represented those concerns in various ways. But I assumed that He probably wasn't so concerned about such mundane things as elections and voting.

That was until a politically active Christian brother challenged me to study God's Word on the matter. I did a word study on "justice," which took me to the Hebrew word "mishphat," which took me to the first chapter of Isaiah. What I found there rocked my world. From Isaiah 1:10-31, I found undeniable and irrefutable principles regarding our role and responsibility in the civil arena -- principles that should drive us to our knees, and then to the polls.

No comments: