Thursday, June 25, 2009

THE ACNA ASSEMBLY - DAY 3

By Robin G. Jordan

I must confess that writing this commentary has been a struggle. I am a day late in writing it and I left my first draft on the hard drive of my computer at home. The constituting of the Anglican Church in North America was a glorious day for those who attended the gathering, as well as for other clergy and members of the new church. It was for them the realization of a dream. It was a time for jubilation. On the other hand, my own interest in what was happening in Bedford, Texas dropped sharply after the ratification of the constitution and canons with only a few changes. I plan to take a look at these changes in a future article.

I have noted a number of reactions to the news of the ratification of the constitution and canons. One reaction was to see the ease with which the constitution and canons were passed and the lack of pronounced vocal opposition to their provisions as a manifestation of the Holy Spirit. Another reaction was to see the same phenomena as a deliberate effort on the part of the delegates to set aside their reservations in regards to the two documents and to ratify them for the sake of the unity of the new church. I do not know how wide-spread these reactions have been but I expect them to pass into the mythos that will eventually surround the launching of the Anglican Church in North America.

I had anticipated that the two documents would be accepted. The momentum for their ratification was too great. The dynamics present at any gathering like the inaugural Provincial Assembly would work in the favor of their passage. Those like myself who have serious concerns regarding their provisions were not well organized. Leaders who were sympathetic to our concerns were hesitant to aggressively pursue modification of the documents from fear of precipitating a split in the new church. One conservative Anglican website had stopped running my articles, ostensibly because of growing criticism from members of the ACNA leadership. Another conservative Anglican website declined to publish them, citing its support of the ACNA. Few conservative Anglican bloggers posted the articles on their blogs. Criticism of any kind of the new church, even friendly criticism of its foundational documents, had become taboo. Consequently, I was unsuccessful in getting my message to those who needed to hear it. As a lone voice I was easy to dismiss.

Is the struggle for a better constitution and a better set of canons for the Anglican Church in North America over? No. It has just begun, as has the struggle to make the ACNA a truly comprehensive church for all conservative North American Anglicans and to restore and revitalize that part of the North American Anglican heritage that the ACNA has abandoned. However it chooses to present itself, the ACNA will never truly be an Anglican province if it does not successfully rise to these two challenges.

4 comments:

John Johnson said...

Robin,

Great post! I was a little worried that you were slipping into dispodency and bitterness. This post had proved that wrong. I do hope you will continue to work for the needed changes in the ACNA. I hope that you and other Evangelical Anglicans will organize and then work for changes. I feel that this is the only way you will be heard as a group.
On a personal note, you are not that far from me. If you ever get to Nashville, please let me know. I would like to meet you if that is possible.

Dcn. John

JimB said...

Robin,

I am so sorry. I know you put a lot of effort and prayer into your lonely fight. For whatever it is worth, I think you criticisms were well founded. I said as much in a couple of the blogs, including one of the ACNA supporters' and one or two rather liberal sites including my own.

I wish I thought you can win any substantial victories. I do not. The moment a polity comes into existence it has a defense team -- those it benefits. So every change will be contested from the perspective that it will limit some of the powers that are.

I fear the new thing will shortly be the broken thing. I know some conservatives wont believe me but I truly wish it were not so.

FWIW
jimB

Hudson said...

Don't give up. I'm seeing things much more clearly thanks to your recent postings. While some conservatives have been teased into ACNA's tent, there are others that are just now recognizing where ACNA is going. Clarity is a good thing.

ACNA thinks they just crossed the Jordan in the Promised Land, but in fact they just crossed the Red Sea into the Wilderness. The next 40 years will be painful until they un-learn TEC.

Reformation said...

Robin, I cannot exist within this ACNA "mixed bag" of Anglo-Catholics and others. I have a report that Iker was recently in the UK, went to the Shrine of our Lady Walsinghma, and invoked the saints. Ain't unity just great?