Friday, November 12, 2010

Bishop Wallace Benn draws attention to media distortion of his recent comments


Bishop Wallace Benn's letter of November 11, 2010 to the Church Press

A painful misrepresentation

Sir,

Some media reports have suggested that at Reform’s national conference I likened those who supported the consecration of women bishops to the Nazis. I did not. Misrepresentation in the Press is a painful and serious matter that can be damaging if it is believed. I wish to put on record that:-

I never mentioned Hitler or the Nazis in my 45-minute interview with Paul Perkin at the conference. Nor did I even have them in mind as I made clear to Ruth Gledhill (the reporter in question) when she asked me about this on the day before the original article appeared in The Times (November 3).

I said that the situation in which we find ourselves in the Church feels like people probably felt as they viewed the year ahead in January 1939. There are storm clouds on the horizon and warfare around the corner. We all hope and pray that it won’t happen.

The analogy was one of time not about opponents. I was referring to the huge culture wars over truth that have been seen in The Episcopal Church in the USA, and are making their presence sadly felt in the Church of England.

Only later in the interview did I mention with concern the division over women bishops, as one of the serious difficulties facing the Church. I also said that the consecration of women bishops should not be a church dividing issue, and it will not be,

if proper legislative provision is made for those who hold the traditional position, who are equally loyal Anglicans. As has been recognised in Synod this year, for some of us this is a matter of conscience in obedience to the Scriptural ordering of the Church.

I am for truth, peace and unity in our Church life. I will continue to work happily with clergy and laity whatever their views on this

The Right Rev Wallace Benn
Bishop of Lewes

No comments: