Thursday, January 13, 2011

Make it clear what you’re delegating


A friend needed a brochure to promote a women’s event at her church.

One of the women on the committee volunteered - she’d done a design course, and was happy to help out.

The next weekend, the brochure was being distributed at church - and it wasn’t at all what my friend was looking for. Nor had she expected the volunteer to create, print and distribute without meeting up to discuss again. This is a classic case of delegation miscommunication, and many of us have been there!

As churches and not-for-profits are all about working with volunteers, it’s important that ministry leaders learn not only how to delegate, but also communicating what we’re delegating. These are two weaknesses in myself that I am particularly conscious of. Michael Hyatt recently wrote a very useful piece on the five levels of delegation that I found helpful (thanks to Paul Dale for sharing this with me).

To read more, click here.

No comments: