Friday, February 18, 2011

Pastor in India Traumatized after Attack


A pastor in India’s Rajasthan state who was stripped, beaten and wounded by Hindu extremists earlier this month is still traumatized, while police have yet to investigate due to family fears of further violence, security and hospital officials said.

Pastor Hari Shankar Ninama, 65, was praying in a home in Ambarunda, Peepal Khoont, Pratapgarh district for an 8-year-old boy’s recovery from illness on Feb. 1 when at least 10 Hindu extremists arrived on motorbikes and stormed in, he said. The assailants beat him and, putting him on one of their motorbikes, took him outside the village, where they stripped off his clothes and struck him.

They fled after stealing his watch, cell phone and a small amount of money.

Pastor Ninama told Compass that he was visiting his daughter Galadh Mangiya Bujh in Ambarunda village when her neighbor, Lasiya Bujh, requested he pray for his sick child. Ambarunda is 17 kilometers (nearly 11 miles) from Pastor Ninama’s home village of Aamliya.

“As I sat praying, a group of at least 10 men interrupted the prayer and started to beat me,” Pastor Ninama said.

Others were awaiting prayer at the home of the pastor’s daughter and witnessed the attack, including Paasu Dindore.

“They slapped Pastor Ninama’s daughter Galadh and beat the sick boy’s father too,” Dindore said. “I was there to request Pastor Ninama to pray for me, and as soon as the attack took place I fled from the spot and witnessed the event from a distance, hiding.”

Pastor Ninama identified two of the attackers as Dhuliya and Gautam; the others are still unidentified.

“They criticized me with abusive language and accusations of forced conversion and made me repeat words after them,” Pastor Ninama said, still visibly in pain and sobbing.

The pastor said they stripped him after taking him to the main road outside the village.

“They hit me again and again mercilessly with wooden clubs and their hands, fists and legs,” he said. “They stole my mobile phone, diary, some documents, wristwatch and 500 rupees (US$11). Threatening me to kill me if I continue to spread Christianity, they left me naked on the road and fled.”

Toread more, click here.

No comments: