Friday, June 17, 2011

St. Aidan church sold, buyer not planning to tear down structure


Ucluelet's Anglican/United St. Aidan-on-the-Hill church has been sold to a local builder who says he does not have intentions to tear it down.

"I want to improve the building and make it even more of a landmark than it is," said Leif Hagar who is closing the deal on the church this month.

Hagar says he bought the church for $185,000 through realtor Judy Gray with RE/MAX Mid-Island Realty.

The church was built by community members in the 1950s and comes with a hefty list of much-needed repairs to the bell tower, roof, walls and exterior.

"It's not condemned by any stretch of the imagination, but there are repairs that need to be done," said Garth Cameron, building inspector for the District of Ucluelet.

Hagar, an experienced custom homebuilder, has tackled church restoration before, including one in Bamfield.

"I'm not unfamiliar with this stuff. I feel like I know what I'm getting into and I hope I can pull it off," he said.

To read more, click here.

No comments: