Monday, October 24, 2011

Lay presidency at the Lord's Table


For some years I have been concerned that our present Anglican rules on who should preside at the Lord's Table are not only unbiblical, but are also increasingly wrong. As lay people are involved in more and more aspects of Christian ministry it becomes apparent that this is the only thing they are not allowed to do: the only functional distinction between laity and priests. That makes Holy Communion into something unique and unparalleled in our faith, and thus tends to denigrate or undermine everything else we do as Christians. It also makes priests into Communion presidents (mass priests?) as their primary role, since everything else they do can also be done by someone else. Both the elevation of Communion (pun intended) and the narrowing of the priestly role go against what Scripture teaches and what Anglicanism has always taught.

I have campaigned to get the rules changed, and seen our Deanery Synod approve a motion from our PCC, sending it to the Diocese. It has yet to be discussed at that level! I give more details of this in chapter 4 below. I wrote an article arguing for lay presidency in the Church of England Newspaper over 10 years ago, and have been meaning to argue the case more closely ever since then. I am therefore grateful to three groups for prodding me recently: the Rochester Diocesan Evangelical Fellowship and the Manchester Diocesan Evangelical Union have both asked me to speak on the subject, and friends on the Council of Reform have suggested I write a discussion paper.

I am very conscious that some of the key words in this debate are divisive or unfortunate. Should we talk about Eucharist, Holy Communion or Lord's Supper? Should we refer to priests or presbyters? Should we use the word "lay" to exclude clergy, who are still part of the laos, the people of God? Should we think of celebrating, presiding, leading or consecrating? Whatever we do is liable to be criticised. My personal preference is to think of elders ministering (or serving) at the Lord's Supper. But on this occasion I am passing the buck, by using the words in the title given to me by the first group to invite me to deal with the subject. The Rochester Diocesan Evangelical Fellowship asked for a talk on Lay Presidency at the Lord's Table, so (for good or ill) those are the words I shall mainly use. I will also refer to priests, in line with the Book of Common Prayer and with Canon Law, but I gladly make it clear that I use the word in the New Testament sense of presbyters or elders rather than the Old Testament sense of sacrificing priests.

I am conscious too that this is a difficult subject for evangelicals to theologise about, because it is not mentioned in the Bible. If only we could find a proof text (in context), or a passage (with agreed interpretation) it would be so much easier. My view is that Scripture does not tell us who should or should not preside because the matter is of very little importance. But I cannot prove that! To read more, click here.

No comments: