Friday, October 21, 2011

Making a Big Deal of a Big God In a Small Church


The average size church in America, I'm told, is 75 people. When I served as a teaching pastor in a large, mega-church I remember wondering how a church could remain less than a hundred people for long. Now that I've been a church planter for almost 3 years, God has greatly tempered my previous ignorance. If the average size is 75, then it only makes sense that many churches attract fewer than 75.

We had 61 people at Church Requel two weeks ago and we were thrilled! Ironically it was a weekend when Mary Kay and I weren't even there. We received emails and text messages from many parishioners celebrating the evening. It felt good.

We're the size church that has to look up to see "average." With that mindset it's easy to fall into a sense of inadequacy. We live in a world of "super" things: Super Bowl, supermarket, and megachurch. In such a super atmosphere, where BIG is celebrated, where large numbers equals success, it's easy to suffer from low esteem. To read more, click here.

To visit Mark Pierce's blog The Write Stuff: Big Ideas for a Small Church, click here.

No comments: