Monday, December 19, 2011

3 Common Misconceptions about DVD-driven Small Group Curriculum


There are several common misconceptions about DVD-driven small group curriculum.

But first, a little history: In January of 2001, when Saddleback took the energy and resources that were producing their midweek service (Side Note: averaging about 1,000 adults in attendance) and shifted that energy and those resources into producing video-driven small group curriculum, two important things happened:

It made it possible for ordinary people with HEARTS for unconnected people to OPEN their homes, SERVE a few refreshments, and TURN on the VCR (Note: the origin of the HOST acronym).

It made it possible for the most gifted communicators to launch discussions about God’s word in over 800 homes throughout the Saddleback Valley (Side Note: approximately 8,000 people).

Full Disclosure: I vividly remember the very first time our groups were provided a video-based study. My initial reaction? Wait! I love teaching! I would rather teach the thing myself! Remember that day like it was yesterday. You know what happened? I took a step back and thought about how many of the leaders in my small group system could do what I could do. And there were some…but not many. Only after gaining a sense of who I was did I reach the point where I became an advocate of DVD-driven curriculum.

And now to the misconceptions about DVD-driven small-group curriculum.... To read more, click here.

No comments: