Friday, January 27, 2012

Learning to Ask for Help


It's okay to not have all the answers.

I was talking to a friend recently who is second in command at a publicly traded billion-dollar company. He was telling me about an important project he was responsible for, and how at one point he became completely overwhelmed. It had gotten complicated, he said, and he wasn't sure what to do next.

"I went into my office, shut the door, and stared at the information in front of me." He told me. "I didn't know what to do, so I just let the wave of panic and anxiety wash over me."

Being in a leadership position does not necessarily mean that we will have all the answers, nor does it mean that we have suddenly acquired magical all-knowing super-powers.

My friend went on to tell me how he eventually resolved the problem by ignoring his insecurities and persisting through the issue. He started talking with others in his organization about it. This ultimately led to some good ideas for possible solutions. He did not let those negative emotions take over. Keep reading.

No comments: