Thursday, January 26, 2012

Ordinariate Watch: New questions, challenges confront Episcopal-turned-Catholic leader


Q: It seems to me that there would be something to learn from the Eastern Catholic jurisdictions in the United States on that. Have you been contacted with them about how they ...

A: I've talked to some of them. I've listened to many of the stories that have been told about their difficulties over the years. But in a way the Catholic Church today is in such a different place than it was in the early part of the 20th century. I've felt only a great sense of welcome from the Catholic bishops. And I hope -- I don't know how to put it, because I don't know enough about the history of Eastern Catholicism to be able to speak very knowledgably about it -- but I don't want to see us living too separated of an existence from the Latin rite. For good theological and historical reasons too because that's where we came from. Whereas the Eastern-rite Catholics, they have a ritual identity that goes way, way, way back. And for Anglicans, I mean we're specifically not a ritual church; we're not recognized as a separate rite but we're part of the regular Roman rite using our Anglican patrimony. Keep reading.

"... we're specifically not a ritual church; we're not recognized as a separate rite but we're part of the regular Roman rite...." says it all. Rome feels no obligation to allow the so-called Anglican ordinariates the use of their own Anglican rite.

No comments: