Tuesday, October 09, 2012

Four Pillars of a Strong Lay Ministry



I was talking with some people after a weekend service once, and I mentioned that we really needed someone to create a multimedia video for an upcoming event. The person I was talking to said, “Why don’t you get her”?

And he pointed to a woman standing a few feet away. I walked over, found out the her name, and asked what she did. Her reply was, “I’m the chief video production director for Walt Disney”.

Another time, I mentioned that we needed a flower designer to decorate our our worship center for Mother’s Day. Someone pointed to a person in the crowd and said, “He designs many of the prize-winning floats for the Rose Parade”!

It bothers me when I think talent like that could go unused.

You have talented members sitting in your congregation, and you need to uncover, mobilize, and support their giftedness for ministry.

This is vital because your church will never grow any stronger than your core of lay ministers who carry out the various ministries of the church.

Based on Romans 12:1-8, I believe there are four pillars of lay ministry that our churches should be upon – Read more
A individual's secular employment may not indicate where his gifts for ministry lie. This is the problem that I have with Rick Warren's introduction to his article. It suggests that an individual's particular form of secular employment is the chief indicator of his particular gift mix, which is not always or invariably the case. 

No comments: