Saturday, February 16, 2013

How to Keep Your Soul Fresh In Ministry


There are few professions with the burn-out and drop out rate as high as that of the Pastorate. A few weeks ago, I was in Jacksonville, FL at a Pastors conference talking with a group of about a dozen other Pastors. Someone in the group shared that a good friend of his had just left the ministry due to the constant pressure and struggles. As we talked it quickly became apparent to me that everyone in the group knew not just one but several fellow Pastors who had dropped out of the ministry in the recent years. I imagine those of you reading this blog could add your own names to that list. Having been in the ministry now for the past twenty years, I can fully understand the struggles involved. In fact, last December I shared a series of blog posts about my own struggle with a ministry meltdown last year. (see “The Anatomy of a Ministry Meltdown.”) Over the past couple of weeks I have been thinking about how Pastors can stay fresh in the ministry. Let me share with you a couple of ideas that I have been thinking about. Read more

No comments: