Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Kyle Rohane: The Myth of the Average Millennial


Don't rely on statistics and stereotypes to reach my generation.

This morning I had a terrifying realization. I'd started the day in my typical fashion, by skimming my Facebook wall and Twitter feed to find an article worth reading—a friend-approved, literary jolt to motivate the hamster in my head to start its daily run. Scrolling through these articles is a bit like walking through a middle school hallway, with all the usual suspects: the nerds correcting everyone's theological grammar, the goths singing dirges of the church's imminent demise, the cool kids gossiping about some pastor's latest faux pas. 

I finally clicked on a link to one of those "How to Get the Average Millennial to Come to Church" articles, expecting a satisfying eye roll. Instead, my jaw dropped and I let out a tiny yelp. This average Millennial, the one that everyone's trying so hard to understand—it's me!

My heart started pounding as I read through the descriptors. "Average Millennials hold multiple degrees." Check. "They are technologically savvy." Check. "Many haven't been able to find jobs in their fields of expertise." Check. "They probably have amassed a sizable debt." Double check.

It was distressing to see myself fitting into the cookie-cutter Millennial mold. Articles such as these don't paint a pretty picture. According to them, Millennials are entitled couch potatoes, suffering from arrested development. They have an inflated sense of self-worth, and they think they can run a company the first day they walk into a new job.

Of course, Millennials have their retorts. "We aren't lazy; we were just dealt a bad hand." "Our parents told us we could be whatever we wanted when we grew up, and we believed them."
Back and forth it goes.

But as an "average Millennial," I don't feel entitled. I've worked as a laborer on a construction site and as an administrative assistant (read: receptionist) for an oral surgeon. I know the value of a hard day's work just to pay the bills. I also don't blame my current struggles entirely on my upbringing. What success I've had, I owe to the generosity of my parents, mentors, and church. How do I rectify these discrepancies?

The answer, of course, is that I'm not the "average Millennial." Nor is anyone else. I may share a few commonalities with other members of my generation, but I'm also unique.

The truth is, the "average Millennial" is a myth. Keep reading

No comments: