Wednesday, April 23, 2014

3 Tips for ‘Gooder’ Discipleship


I overanalyze things. So, when my son told me the other day that nap time at school is “badder” than recess, I laughed –for a second. That is, until my mind raced twenty years into the future as Bryce is interviewing for a job and says, “Thank you for considering me for this position. I’ll do a gooder job than you could ever imagine.” So I quickly corrected him to use the word, “worse” as a comparative adjective instead of “badder.” I’m fairly certain he will use the incorrect word again.

So, I wondered, what is the best way to teach him? Should I quickly put together a chart on irregular comparative and superlative adjectives? Or, should we practice using “worse” in sentences for about ten minutes? Maybe I should just trust that in time, he will hear me use “worse” enough times in natural conversation that he will catch on. So, which way is the best way for my son to learn? I actually think it is all three.

There is a place for charts and chalkboard teaching (Classroom/Lecture). There is also much to be said for practicing scenarios (Practice/Mentor). And, there is great merit to real life observation (Modeling). In my opinion, all three types of teaching/learning are necessary for the average person. Of course, there are some who naturally soak up a lecture in the classroom, just as there are some who can only learn by doing. However, for most of us, we need a mixture of all three. The problem is that we typically get the order of importance backwards. Keep reading

No comments: