Wednesday, April 23, 2014

A Cost of All This Preaching?


I am one of those New Calvinists, I guess, which means I am part of a crowd that values preaching, and expository preaching in particular. Of course I was an Old Calvinist before I was a New one and was raised in a tradition that valued preaching just as highly. For my whole life I’ve been around preachers and preaching.

I spent a good bit of time last week pondering the nature of God’s Word and thinking specifically about Paul’s mandate to Timothy: “Until I come, devote yourself to the public reading of Scripture, to exhortation, to teaching.” That’s a passage about preaching, but it’s also a passage about just plain reading the Bible out loud. It intrigued me.

I travel a fair bit these days and often enjoy worshipping in other churches, and here is something I’ve noticed: We tend to be far more committed to the second part of that command than to the first. We love our preaching, but what about the public reading of Scripture? Most churches I visit will read the Bible immediately prior to the sermon, and some will read a text in sections during the sermon, but few just dedicate themselves to reading the Bible aloud. Conferences, too, are known for their preaching, but not necessarily for their emphasis on reading the Bible. Last week I found myself wondering why this is. I wonder if our emphasis on preaching has inadvertently nudged it out. Keep reading

See also
Work at Your Prayers!
Even in churches that include two or three readings from the Bible in their worship gatherings  the value of the public reading of Scripture is not fully appreciated. This is observable in the way the lections are read on Sundays and festivals. In churches that use set forms of prayers those who are responsible for reading these prayers also need to work at how they read them. Are the prayers read perfunctorily or from the heart? Can "the prayer of the heart" be heard in the read prayers?

No comments: