Monday, May 26, 2014

Do Not Have Other Gods Besides Me


When my family and I are about to enter a sea of people at a game, a mall, or a store, honestly, I get paranoid (introvert). I’ll tap my pockets to make sure my keys, wallet, and phone are accounted for (and I’ll continue tapping), but more importantly, I make sure my children are within arms reach. I might even prep them before we dive into the crowd—“I want you to hold my hand as we go. Understand?” Then, I hold out my hand and wait for my child to grab it. Once I feel his hand in mine, I hold on tight and do not let go.

What if I went to a random kid at a game and said the same? Would he then hold my hand and go where I went? Probably not. He’d run for his dad or mom or the nearest uniformed officer, and then I’d be facing a lot of serious questions.

Why the difference? Why would my son willingly (hopefully) take my hand while another child runs? Well, I have loved, raised, protected, disciplined, provided for, wrestled, and played with my son; I’m nothing but a fearful unknown to another child. Obviously, the relationship matters. Keep reading

See also
The Sabbath, Jesus, and Christians by J.D. Greear
Jesus and The Ten Commandments

No comments: