Thursday, June 26, 2014

How to Receive Criticism: 3 Kinds of Critics You Can Ignore


Part of leadership is handling criticism, so I've tried to share some things to help you along those lines.
To start, I shared a five part series on how to give criticism with integrity:
Now, I am looking at how to receive criticism. The first step is to not take it personally. You can embrace and learn from criticism from both unfriendly and friendly critics.

As strange as it may sound, we actually need criticism. We need criticism, lest we think we are always right. We need criticism, lest we believe we are without fault. We need criticism, lest we separate ourselves from those we serve or who serve us with an honest critique.

But, we don't need criticism from everyone. Simply put, you have to consider the source of the criticism. I do not take all criticism equally and neither should you. I am pretty active in the realm of the "Christian blogosphere," so a number of my examples are from my experience there, but generally speaking, these principles can apply to your office, church, or otherwise. Keep reading

No comments: