Friday, September 05, 2014

Only In a Small Church: One-On-One With the Pastor


I had another one of those “only in a Small Church” moments last Sunday.

The positive kind.

As I was shaking hands at the door after the service, I chatted with a man who’s been attending for a few weeks. He told me he was thinking about making us his permanent church home, but he had a few questions he needed to ask first.

He didn’t have his calendar ready, so I told him to email me to set up an appointment.

“Who should I email?” he asked.

“Me,” I said. “My email address is on the back of the bulletin.”

“When I set up the appointment, who will it be with?” he asked.

“Me,” I answered.

He paused for a moment. “You mean, just you and me? I’ll get to sit down and talk with you directly? It won’t be in a room with a bunch of other people? Or with one of your staff members?”

“No, just me. I hope that’s not a disappointment,” I joked.

“Wow,” he responded. “I’ve only attended big churches before this one. Whenever I had a question, they put me in a class or a small group. I’ve never been able to meet one-on-one with a pastor. This is just what I need!”

He walked away with a big smile on his face. So did I. Read more

No comments: