Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Pointers for Preachers: Three Articles


Illustrate to Help Rather Than to Impress

Sermon illustrations. For some of us, they are our favorite part of the sermon. Others of us may view them as corny or simple-minded. Still more may feel anxious about sermon illustrations, fearing that they will distract people from the biblical text.

But whatever we may feel about the contemporary use (and misuse) of sermon illustrations, Jesus himself “did not speak to them without a parable” (Mark 4:34). How can preachers use sermon illustrations today in way that reflects the example of Christ? Is it possible for illustrations to actually enhance, rather than dilute, biblical exposition?

To get wisdom on these issues, I spoke on the phone with TGC Council member Bryan Chapell, now serving as senior pastor at Grace Presbyterian Church in Peoria, Illinois. Chapell has authored several influential books on preaching, including Using Illustrations to Preach with Power and the award-winning Christ-Centered Preaching. These notes come from our conversation. Read more

A Pastor’s Reflections: Exegetical Landmines

I can remember being in seminary and as I would learn about various books of the Bible or encounter passages of Scripture I would make a mental note that I wanted to preach and teach such things. I accumulated my wish list and mentally filed it away in my brain for future reference. On that list, however, were a number of books and passages that I knew would be challenging for a number of reasons. In a nutshell, these books and passages were filled with exegetical landmines, so to speak. Let me explain. Read more

Bonhoeffer’s Teaching on Preaching

If you aren’t familiar with the story of Dietrich Bonhoeffer, you should change that.

Bonhoeffer’s example of standing for Christ under the Nazi regime will inspire fresh courage in you (I’d recommend Eric Metaxas’ book: Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy).

A lesser-known part of Bonhoeffer’s ministry centers on the two years he headed up an underground seminary in Finkenwalde (1935-1937). During these years he trained future pastors—preparing them for ministry in a turbulent, hostile society.

Some of his lectures from Finkenwalde are preserved in Volume 14 of The Dietrich Bonhoeffer Works. I found his lecture on preaching to be fascinating. While I differ with some of his views (for example, he dismissed the need for sermon introductions, conclusions or applications), I’m convinced Bonhoeffer has much pastoral and homiletical wisdom to pass on to all who preach or teach God’s Word.

Here are a few of his insights that I found to be highlights.... Read more

No comments: