Friday, October 17, 2014

Reflection: Why I favour full immersion – not sprinkling


In those days, Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan (Mark 1v9)

I like to think that the way I do baptisms has become a bit of a talking point in the area where I live.

I'm an Anglican, which means I baptise babies and small children. (More of that later!) But while some clergy may sprinkle just a few drops of water over a child in a way which (to my mind) is rather feeble, I like to make sure that any infant coming my way gets as thorough a soaking as decency allows.

In my smugger moments, I congratulate myself on having evolved a clever technique over the years which involves using considerable amounts of water while holding the child in such a way that none gets in its eyes. This generally keeps the baby smiling and yet at the same time creates quite a spectacle. People often comment on the sheer volume of water!

But this is not mere showmanship. While it certainly makes an impact, my primary motivation in using lots of water is theological. Indeed, it's a little known fact that, technically, the Church of England's Book of Common Prayer instructs ministers baptising a child to "dip it in the water" – albeit "discreetly and warily" – and only recommends sprinkling or pouring water if the parents can "certify that the child is weak". Read more
Sprinkling is a Methodist and Presbyterian practice. The rubrics of The Book of Common Prayer state, "Then the Priest shall take the Child into his hands, and shall say to the Godfathers and Godmothers, Name this Child. And then naming it after them (if they shall certify him that the Child may well endure it) he shall dip it in the Water discreetly and warily, saying...." They further state, "But if they certify that the Child is weak, it shall suffice to pour Water upon it, saying the foresaid words...." The rubrics make no mention of sprinkling.

No comments: