Saturday, December 20, 2014

Issues in Church Leadership: Seven Articles


Which is More Creative, A Lone Wolf or a Team?

The “lone wolf” theory of creativity (usually an artist struggling alone) has always been the romantic ideal, but is it true? We look to artistic geniuses throughout history and naturally think that real creativity happens in isolation. But as more and more research and historical information comes to light, the lone wolf theory just isn’t holding up. As Peter Bart from Variety Magazine recently pointed out: “Most creative breakthroughs, recent studies point out, are the products of teams of artists.” Read more

How to Identify Constructive Criticism

Constructive:

“Serving a useful purpose; tending to build up.”

Criticism:

“The act of passing judgment as to the merits of anything.”Read more

When They Won’t Follow Your Leadership

What if I shared with you that I’m thinking of leaving my church because they aren’t “following my leadership”? Upon further investigation, you find out that I’ve only been serving this church for a week. How would you respond? You might think, “You’re being ridiculous!” What if I told you that I’ve been serving a church for 10 years, and they still don’t follow my leadership? Is my reasoning now somehow justified? Read more

How to Endure a Critical, Non-supportive Leader

I was talking to a younger leader recently. He is feeling under-appreciated. His boss, the senior leader, never notices the work that he is doing. Even worse, for this senior leader, crisitcism flows easily. He never misses a mistake.

I get it. That leader could be me at times. I’m bad about celebrating. I’m wired for constant improvement. It’s something I’m conscious of and work on, but it takes consistent discipline on my part.

On the other hand, the new generation of leaders were born into a system that afforded instant and constant recognition. In my days, A’s were expected in school. So we didn’t always celebrate them. If we did it was at the end of the year. These days an A on a test may get a steak dinner. Read more

8 Practices Of Leaders With A Loser’s Mentality

To refer to someone as a “loser” is one of the most cruel statements you can make. It is a cutting statement regarding their character and personal value. Keep this in mind when you hear the phrase “Loser’s Mentality”. This is a sporting term which does not refer to a team or person’s value but rather a team or person who continually comes up short and mixes expectations. A Loser’s Mentality sets in when a defeatist attitude becomes institutionalized. This appears to have happened to the New York Knicks.

In an article written Ian Begley by on today’s ESPN.com, Knicks team president Phil Jackson said regarding the team’s poor performance, “It’s about a loser’s mentality.” You can read the full article by clicking here. As I read Begley’s post, I gleaned 8 Practices Of Leaders With A Loser’s Mentality. See if any of the following apply to you. Read more

One Sign of Great Leadership: Admitting You Aren’t the One

One sign of a great leader — in my opinion — is to be bold enough to say, “I don’t have all the answers”.

Perhaps even harder, “I’m not the one to carry this task forward.”

That takes humility. Read more

Facing Discouragement? We Need Protection in God’s Encouragement

Discouragement is one of the enemy’s most effective tools against the people of God. How many small group leaders begin with great dreams of seeing spiritual growth in their group members only to become discouraged and quit? How many pastors assume leadership in a new church only to run afoul of a power structure, become discouraged, and lose heart?

How many men and women enter the world of business with big goals and high expectations but end up experiencing discouragement? How many people enter marriage in love with one another and soon become discouraged with each other and marriage itself? Read more

No comments: