Wednesday, April 01, 2015

How to Destroy Your Pastor


What threatens pastors most is not the attack that comes from outside the church, but the criticisms of cliques from within.

Over the past 15 years of pastoral ministry, I have contemplated quitting at least 3 times. The first time was when I had to dedicate a tiny baby who had passed away after being born three months premature. The second was when my wife was diagnosed with cancer, which I describe in great detail in my book. But the time I most seriously considered quitting took place in the living room of a church member.

He and I had been in almost constant conflict over the course of two years. I was at his house to try to figure out what the problem was, and how we might fix it. With my head in my hands, I poured out my heart to this man I considered my brother in Christ, sharing all the woes and fears that I had faced that year: the break-ins at my home, my wife’s cancer diagnosis, our meager attendance at church. My voice choked with emotion, I confessed to him, “I really could use a break, you know?”

He looked at me, and with a flat voice dripping with contempt, muttered, “You are just so . . . emotional.” Keep reading

Also see
Silent Clergy Killers: 'Toxic' Congregations Lead to Widespread Job Loss

Photo credit: Pixabay, public domain

No comments: