Monday, June 15, 2015

Issues in Outreach and Engagement: Three Articles


4 Keys to Connecting People No One Else Is Connecting [Podcast]

To reach people no one else is reaching we must do things no one else is doing.”

That was the line I heard from Craig Groeschel at Willow Creek’s Leadership Summit in 2008. I remember where I was sitting in the Bayside Community Church auditorium when I heard the line. I can’t tell you anything else I heard at the Leadership Summit that year, but I’ll never forget that single line.

As it turned out, I wasn’t the only one rocked by the line. Andy Stanley referenced it in a memorable Drive Conference session. You can listen to him recount its impact right here: What no one else is doing.

“To reach people no one else is reaching we must do things no one else is doing.” If there was ever an idea that was self-evident, that was and is one. Keep reading

Six Simple Things a First-time Church Guest Likes

I have written rather extensively on first-time church guests at this blog. Even more importantly, I have received hundreds of responses from church leaders, church members, and church guests about this issue. I took the opportunity to look specifically at the comments from first-time guests. After completing this exercise, I was surprised to find that the preferences of these guests can be categorized into six simple groups.

Keep in mind, you are hearing only from the self-identified first-time guests. Each category has one or more direct comments I received. Here are their six simple requests. Keep reading

7 Practical Things the Church Can Do for Veterans

How spiritual communities can tend the hurting souls of veterans.

As more psychologists and military leaders recognize that war hurts the soul as much as the mind, Warren Kinghorn and others say spiritual communities are a crucial resource. Beyond inviting veterans to receive healing in Christ, here are seven practical things churches can do. The following is based on our conversations with Kinghorn. Keep reading

No comments: