Saturday, June 20, 2015

Sex at First Sight: Understanding the Modern Hookup Culture


Three years ago, I heard a speech delivered by an Ivy League rugby coach. He was talking about relationships and at a certain point said, “When I listen to my players talk about their sex lives, you would think they are participating in a double X-rated movie.” Then he said, “I am afraid we are going to lose this next generation of kids.” I am not exactly sure what he meant when he said “lose” them, but I shuddered when I heard those words because I have three children in this very generation.

After extensive research, I’ve learned about the sexual escapades on today’s college campuses, which is referred to by experts as “the modern hookup culture.” As a recent female graduate at the University of Virginia explains it, “Sex pervades almost every aspect of dorm life that I have experienced. I have seen ‘dorm incest’ where the entire floor hooks up with everyone else on the floor.”

If you are not familiar with the term “hookup”, it is most often used to refer to when two people accept and participate in casual sexual encounters that involve no type of relational commitment or emotional bonding. For so many college students, sex is just another form of recreation, with neither boundaries nor expectations. Keep reading

No comments: