Thursday, July 02, 2015

5 Ways Your Church Can Adapt to “Digital Natives”


In a 2001 journal article (I was 11 years old, for perspective), Marc Prensky, a thought leader in the educational technology world, coined the term “Digital Natives” to describe young people who do not know a world without video games, computers, Internet, and more. You are a Digital Native if you were born after 1980—so that would include all Millennials and every generation that follows.

For instance, I was born in 1990, and I was sitting on my dad’s lap as he worked on his computer from home for IBM by 1993.

I don’t know a world without video games. I had a cell phone by my freshman year of high school, and I even got mine later than many of my friends.

Prensky, primarily concerned with the ways in which the 21st century educational system was not equipped to educate 21st century students, wrote, “Our students have changed radically. Today’s students are no longer the people our educational system was designed to teach.” Keep reading

No comments: