Wednesday, November 04, 2015

Why Every Seminary Student Should Read J. C. Ryle


When I was asked to write this post, I replied by saying, “I would love to! Can I write two?” My rather enthusiastic answer should give you some idea of my estimation of Ryle and the challenges I faced in producing a brief answer to the question at hand. I began my study of J. C. Ryle (1816-1900) more than six years ago, and my interest in him was primarily historical. However, as I prepare to defend my dissertation and end this leg of my journey with him, I am absolutely convinced that he has a lot to offer you as a minister-in-training. Read more
J.C.Ryle was also a prodigious writer of tracts defending the Protestant and Reformed principles of the Anglican Church. For those who have not read Ryle's tracts, Internet Archives has the Church Association Tracts, vols. 1-5, a collection of tracts, which include Ryle's. Click here. J. T. Tomlinson's Collected Tracts on Ritual, vols. 1-2, are also recommended reading. Click here.

No comments: