Friday, December 25, 2015

Christmas Day Roundup: Fourteen Articles


Stuff Church Leaders Say – 7 Statements I Hear Too Often Lately

Over the last number of months, I’ve heard church leaders make statements that didn’t seem to jive with my experience and observations working with churches. In fact, the recent report from Leadership Network seems to dispel those myths. Read More

12 Intriguing Megachurch Trends

Does it surprise you that among megachurches.... Read More

10 Life Lessons and Reminders from “It’s a Wonderful Life”

It’s a Wonderful Life” has to be one of my all-time favorite movies. I have probably seen it thirty times or more. A couple years ago Cheryl and I saw it on the big screen. One of our local, historic theaters, shared the film for Christmas.... There was something even more wonderful about “It’s a Wonderful Life” in this setting. I took time to reflect on the moment. I was reminded how many life lessons this movie provides. Read More

The Incarnation: Five Reason Why It Matters

In the end, this is a mystery; you either believe it or you don't. But here are five reasons why the Incarnation is important. Read More

Incarnation: The Biology of Christmas

Normal births are amazing, whether they occur in hospitals or homes or the back seats of taxis. But when I consider the birth of Jesus, I’m in total awe.... Read More

The Bad and Good News of Immanuel

Immanuel. God with us. This is good news, right? In actuality, we often jump to the good news of Christmas without giving proper attention to the bad news. As a result, we blunt the mercy of the gospel and the magnitude of our praise. Read More

Glad Tidings and Cups of Bitterness

Serving Christ means experiencing sorrow—even at Christmas. Read More

Growing A Team vs. Growing A Church

It takes a healthy team to grow a healthy church. Read More

Influence or Interference?

Whether it’s a detail that matters, or something I’m passionate about, or the fact that I care; that doesn’t mean I need to insert my influence. Generally, I’m really good about empowering and staying out of the way, but I still have to pay attention to the difference between influencing at the right times and what might be interfering unnecessarily. Read More

My Five Favorite Personal Productivity Tools

People often ask me what tools or systems I use to maximize productivity, to stay organized, or to complete tasks. My answer is typically perceived as underwhelming, as I don’t have a project management system (though I am not against them) and the tools I do use are a bit “old-school.” The five productivity tools I most use are.... Read More

Making Family Christmas Memories

Families have lots of different Christmas traditions, and these are good things to have. They help the family establish a rhythm and build memories together. As you spend time with your kids this Christmas, realize that more important than the toys will be the experiences. More memorable than the gifts will be the time you share with your kids. And because many parents have some extra days off work around Christmas, it is a great season to spend time with and pour memories into your kids. Read More

If You Want People Transformed by the Gospel

If the church is going to reach the world with the gospel, Jesus has to become the centerpiece of the conversation. But, in some churches, the church or the pastor is the brand. Think about it.... How often do the people in your church talk about Jesus when talking to those outside the church about their faith. They talk about the great preaching, the incredible band, the relaxed dress, the children’s ministry that is really amazing, etc. Read More

First Days of Jesus' Life Explored

Everyone knows the biblical Christmas story, with Mary riding on a donkey, an innkeeper turning away Mary and Joseph, animals surrounding the Christ child and three wise men visiting Jesus on the night of His birth. Or do they? Read More

ISIS Sanctions Organ Harvesting from 'Apostates', Document Reveals

Islamic State has sanctioned the harvesting of human organs in a previously undisclosed ruling by the group's Islamic scholars, raising concerns that the violent extremist group may be trafficking in body parts. Read More

No comments: