Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Holy Discontent


Popeye the Sailor Man was one of my favorite cartoon characters as I growing up in my early childhood. Not only did I love his sailor accent, but also I admired his unwavering focus to save his significant other Olive Oyl against those trying to threaten her well-being. Before he would exterminate his opponents, he would swallow a can of spinach and his body would transform itself into a hulk-like figure. He would proclaim the phrase, “That’s all I can stands, I can’t stands no more.” (As you can see, Popeye had an incredible command of English)

Willow Creek senior pastor and author Bill Hybels writes with pastoral fluency that everyone needs to find his or her “Holy Discontent” – a moment where our passion and purpose intersects. Hybels also describe this as the “Popeye Moment.” Popeye couldn’t stand anybody threatening the well-being of his beloved Olive Oyl. Anything that compromised this became a firestorm of frustration for him. Read more

No comments: