Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Jesus Loves The Traditional Church


I have friends who are church planters and revitalizers. I can’t even describe how thankful I am for them. I praise God for calling these guys to establish new gospel communities and empower dead churches with gospel life. There is indeed a need for this kind of work. However, I’m not that guy. I’m not a visionary or revitalizer, and honestly have no desire to be. Quite the contrary: I actually serve in a small, rural, established traditional Baptist church. Sounds sexy, right? It is filled with the old hymns accompanied by a single piano. The average age of the congregation is 65. But the fact of the matter is I love this church because they love Jesus, and have loved Him longer than I’ve been alive.

Most young pastors fresh out of seminary usually don’t dream of going into this type of church. I have known young pastors who have served in these churches and within a year they have transitioned out to “move on” to bigger churches. Let me say, if God has called to you to “move on” then follow His leading. However, don’t miss the opportunity to serve in a small older church just because they don’t play the latest Chris Tomlin song.

Within my short time I’ve learned a few things along the way that has helped me minister in an older established traditional church. Read More

No comments: