Friday, April 08, 2016

Faithful Preachers are Forgetful Preachers


My big brother, Kevin Willis, was there to hear me preach my first sermon, at the Mt. Sinai Missionary Baptist Church in Los Angeles. I was a boy preacher, eleven years old.

It was some years before he heard me preach again....

I could not tell how my brother received the sermon as he sat in the service. But I could not wait to hear what he had to say afterwards. I didn’t take me long to find out.

As soon as we got outside, Kevin put his arm around me and pulled me to the side. “I want to say something to you,” he whispered. “There are two things I want to tell you. First of all, everything I have heard about you is true. You’re a really good young preacher. And I am very proud of you. But the second thing I need to say you is that you need to forget it.” Read More

No comments: