Friday, April 29, 2016

How to Spice Up Bland Sermons


I remember sitting on my couch when it hit me. It was one of those rare moments of clarity amid the dense fog of dejection. I was fretting a bit about my sermon a few hours earlier. I felt like the wife or mom who kept on cooking up the same meals, the same way each week. The balance of spiritual proteins, carbs, and vegetables was not out of whack, but the flavor was. My homiletical seasoning had become flavorless and predictable. In short: my illustrations and word pictures were becoming bland and boring.

It hit me as I sat rubbing my head like I was attempting to coerce a migraine to leave. Jesus commented that “out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks” (Lk. 6.45). What was coming out of my mouth in my sermons was precisely what was filling my mind and heart throughout the week. Read More

No comments: