Saturday, April 02, 2016

The Church Does Not Exist to Entertain Us – Or Bore Us


Jesus never bored people with the gospel. But entertainment was never the point. Truth was the point. And truth is never boring.

I don't go to church to be entertained.

  • I also don't go to church to be bored.
  • I go to worship.
  • I go to read and hear from God's word.
  • I go to be taught.
  • I go to be challenged.
  • I go to be discipled.
  • I go to fellowship with other believers.
  • I go to be inspired into action.

When we reduce the gathering of God's people to an entertainment venue, we don’t enhance it, we diminish it.

Diminish. That's such a benign word for the damage we do to the gospel when use it as a tool to put on a better show.

The only thing worse? Boring people with the gospel.

We’ve been entrusted with the message that God came to live on our planet, lived a sinless life, taught the greatest truths ever heard, died for our sins, rose from the dead, and is coming back for us. You have to work hard to make that story boring. Yet we do. Read More

No comments: