Friday, May 26, 2017

Why I Am Not Roman Catholic


Last week I began a new series titled “Why I Am Not…” and in this series I am exploring some of the things I do not believe as a means to explaining what I do believe. In the last article I explained why I am not atheist and now want to explain why I am not Roman Catholic. The timing of this article is unplanned but rather appropriate. I publish today from Orlando, Florida where I am enjoying some time at Ligonier Ministries, the ministry founded many years ago by Dr. R.C. Sproul. In very important ways the answer to the question “Why am I not Roman Catholic?” is “R.C. Sproul.” But I am getting ahead of myself.

Though my parents were saved into Pentecostalism, they quickly found a home in the Presbyterian tradition and developed deep interests in both church history and Reformed theology. Each of them read extensively in these fields and eagerly taught me what they had learned. In church history they found the long saga of Rome’s battle against Protestants and pre-Protestants while in theology they found her distortion of the gospel. From my early days I was taught that Catholicism is a dangerous perversion of biblical truth and learned the traditional Protestant understanding that its pontiff is the antichrist, the great opponent of God’s people.

As I entered adulthood I felt a growing desire to examine the beliefs I had always assumed to see if I actually held to them independently from my parents. I looked for resources that could guide me and soon came across the works of R.C. Sproul which had largely been written in response to Evangelicals and Catholics Together. Sproul had determined that he would allow the Church to speak for herself through her catechism and official statements and that he would evaluate these through Scripture. He showed a deep, respectful understanding of Catholicism and built a compelling case in which he exposed her most serious problems. Books by James White complemented Sproul’s and under their guidance I came to see that Catholic doctrine really is opposed to Scripture and to the gospel. My convictions about the errors and dangers of Catholicism changed a little bit—I became far less convinced about the connection between pope and antichrist, for example—but overall were sharpened and deepened. I concluded that for a number of reasons I could never be Roman Catholic. Most prominent among them are these three.... Read More
Tim Challies reposted this article on his website and I am reposting it on Anglicans Ablaze. Challies draws attention to three fundamental defects of Roman Catholicism—its denial of the gospel, its exclusive claim to be the Church, and its idolatrous worship. A fourth fundamental defect of Roman Catholicism , which Challies does not address in his article, is that, while it claims to recognize the authority of the Bible, it elevates its own particular consensus and tradition above Scripture, a fundamental defect that it shares with Eastern Orthodoxy and the various other forms of unreformed Catholicism.

1 comment:

Robin G. Jordan said...

It is the policy of this web site to delete posts that are not consistent with its primary commitment to building up Christ’s Church in North America and beyond. This includes posts that promote the particular beliefs and practices of traditional African-Caribbean religions such as Santeria, Voodoo, or Yoruba, extol specific practitioners of these religions, and advertise their services.