Saturday, June 10, 2017

When Should Doctrine Divide?


For various reasons I’ve been thinking lately about how Christians should relate to each other around secondary doctrines. What kinds of partnership and alliance are appropriate among Christians of different denominations, networks, and/or tribes? What kind of feelings and practices should characterize our attitude to those in the body of Christ with whom we have significant theological disagreements? What does it look like to handle with integrity and transparency personal differences of conviction that may arise with your church, boss, or institution?

These kinds of questions have been a significant part of my own denominational and theological journey over the last decade or so, and it is a practical issue that will always be with us, so I thought it might be helpful to share two convictions that have been brewing in me while I’ve struggled my way through it all.

My comments here are not a thorough treatment of this whole issue, and reflect my own context and story somewhat. But my own story may have similarities to others, and so may be useful to share.

At the broadest conceptual level, I see two opposite dangers: doctrinal minimalism and doctrinal separatism. Read More

No comments: