Wednesday, August 02, 2017

7 Classic New Leader Mistakes


I’ve worked with a lot of new leaders over the years. Even more so, I’ve been one. Numerous times throughout my more than 35 years leadership career I’ve been the new guy. (And learned lots of lessons the hard way.)

Navigating those early days in a new leadership role is critically important. Much of our future success as leaders is determined by how well we start. It is more difficult to regain momentum for our leadership if it is lost or never begins early.

So experienced leaders know they must start well to end (or continue) well.

Over the last few years, I’ve worked with a lot of pastors who are attempting church revitalization. Some of these experiences have helped shape this post. I really want to speak to the new or “about to begin” leader. If you’re in an existing leadership role there may be something here for you too, but I’m really addressing the earliest days of leadership.

To do so, I want to share some of the more common mistakes I’ve seen new leaders make recently. Again, I’m mostly referring to our pastors attempting church revitalization. I’m certain many of these would be true when attempting to newly lead any group of people. Read More

No comments: