Wednesday, December 13, 2017

4 Reasons Not to Overlook Joseph at Christmas


Joseph is missing from the large Nativity scene in our living room. When I asked Janet why one of the Magi was kneeling in Joseph’s spot, she reminded me that she got that really nice set at a garage sale for $9.

Sadder still is the fact that we have owned that Nativity for three years! He is so easy to overlook in the Christmas story, yet he is likely the one person in the Nativity I identify with the most.

I looked in Matthew’s gospel for clues as to why God chose Joseph for this sacred assignment. Part of the answer lies in pedigree. Matthew and Luke both trace Joseph’s family back to David’s royal family tree. Prophecy required that the Son of God also be the Son of David. But surely he was not the only one qualified for that DNA/prophecy match. Here are four other reasons I believe God chose Joseph. Read More

No comments: